GRADUATE CO-OP/INTERNSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
All Georgia Tech graduate students are eligible and encouraged to register for the Graduate Cooperative Education and Internship (Graduate Co-op/Internship) Program.
- Good academic standing
- Have completed one academic semester (F1 visa holders must complete fall and spring semesters)
- Have at least one semester remaining before graduation
- Co-op/internship experience must be related to the program of study and be approved by the graduate program
- Visa holders must have work authorization approved by the Office of International Education
Dates and work term requirements:
|Summer 2019||Fall 2019||Spring 2020|
|4 pm, May 10, 2019||4 pm, August 16, 2019||4 pm, January 3, 2020|
Length of Work Term
|10 weeks minimum*||14 weeks minimum||14 weeks minimum|
Earliest Start Date
|May 6, 2019||August 5, 2019||December 16, 2019|
Latest End Date*
|August 2, 2019*||
December 13, 2019 (Fall graduates)
May 1, 2020 (Spring graduates)
|Full-time work||36‒40 hours per week|
6‒20 hours per week (Visa-holders must maintain 12 hours of enrollment during fall and spring semesters)
F-1 students using CPT work authorization must end by this date*. U.S. citizens, permanent residents, J-1, and students using OPT may work until the start of classes.
NOTE* - Click here for information on new APPEAL PROCESS
How to Submit a Request to Approve your Graduate Co-op/Internship:
- Complete Experiential Learning Application in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “SET APPLICANT TYPE/Submit Experiential Learning Application”)
- Obtain a written offer letter from your prospective co-op/internship employer. Be sure it includes the dates you will work, the address where you will actually work, and contact information. Download Sample Offer Letter (Adobe PDF file)
- Obtain Signed Approval (DocuSign) from your academic advisor allowing a full-time or part-time graduate co-op/internship. Doctoral students must also have their faculty adviser sign.
- Upload the offer letter and advisor approval form in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “Submit/Edit Co-op or Internship Placement” > “Add New Experience”)
- Students approved for graduate co-op will receive a confirmation email and a permit to enroll in a no-tuition audit course. You must register by the close of Phase II registration.
- Complete a new placement form before EACH semester’s work term
At the time that your Graduate Co-op/Internship is approved, the Graduate Co-op program submits your information to the Office of International Education (OIE) to start the process for CPT/OPT approval.
- OIE requires 5 business days to process CPT requests
- OIE will send you an e-mail when your updated I-20 is ready
- You must have your updated I-20 before starting work
For more information, please see International Authorization (CPT/OPT) page.
Graduate Co-op/Internship Advising:
Walk-in Advising Hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Center for Career Discovery and Development on the first floor of the Bill Moore Success Center, next to the Tech Tower.
Graduate Career Advising Appointments: For Graduate Co-op/internship advising or for full service graduate level career counseling, schedule an appointment via CareerBuzz.