International Students Participating in the Graduate Internship Program

International students holding F-1 and J-1 visas are eligible to work legally in the United States under Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and/or Optional Practical Training (OPT), and /or Academic Training.  The Graduate Internship Program at Georgia Tech meets the criteria of both all three.  Students must be in F-1 status for at least two semesters before they are eligible to work off-campus using any of these.
International students participating in the Graduate Internship Program use the CPT work authorization, only, when working with the Career Center. Use of the OPT work authorization must be coordinated through the Office of International Education (OIE). The Career Center also handles Academic Training internships.

OIE staff members assist students with questions regarding maintaining valid F-1 and J-1 status, obtaining social security, and I-20, CPT, and/or OPT process or processing issues.  Career Advsiors are unable to assist, update, or issue CPT, OPT, or I-20 related questions. For more information on OIE or any visa related issues or international student issues, visit their Web site,

CPT and OPT Work Authorizations

Click on the links below to view the steps for obtaining CPT or OPT work authorization, which must be done before each work term. Failure to do so will jeopardize the student's eligibility to continue working in the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)

NOTE* - Click HERE for information on new APPEAL PROCESS